These are the takeaway tips from six PR experts (including me) who were on the panel of The Guardian PR Masterclass recently:
- Be proactive about your PR. That’s what makes the difference between small businesses with great profiles and those without.
- Define what you want to achieve from PR and be very clear about your brand’s unique selling points (USPs) as this will shape your communication, messaging and media outreach strategy.
- Research your media BEFORE you start firing off press releases.
- Keep it simple and try to get to know your media – that way, they’ll love you.
- Think of the best, most interesting story about your business and just start telling people it.
- If you want to get press coverage for your business…stop talking about! Sounds crazy but journalists aren’t interested in your business – they’re interested in great content for their audience. Getting your head around this is a big lightbulb moment for most business owners, but once it clicks you’re away.